Since upholstered furniture is usually expensive, it can be considered as an investment that adds to a household. Like any investment, furniture should be taken care of professionally.
Here are some tips to make sure that your upholstery remains clean and beautiful between professional cleanings
- Prevention is always the best maintenance for anything, and that includes upholstery! Keep it safe from any spills or sharp objects. When you are sitting or lying down on your upholstered furniture, remember to refrain from doing any motion that can stretch the fabric, such as sudden stretching, kicking or thrashing.
- Protect your upholstery from discoloration. There are certain items or practices that may seem innocent to you, but these can seriously affect your upholstery over time. Keep newspapers or powder printed materials away from your upholstery, since these can pass its ink to the upholstery which will accumulate and stain over time. Also, keep dark colored blankets and sheets away from upholstery, especially when they are wet. These contain dyes that can also rub off on upholstery and stain over time.
- Move your upholstery away from direct sunlight and to places where it is not too hot. Direct sunlight and heat can fade your upholstery over time with its UV rays. Of course, we cannot truly prevent fading, but at the very least, we can lengthen the beauty of the upholstery.
- It is important to check furniture tags on your upholstery to ascertain the right type of stain removing products to use. Standard tags used by upholstery companies bullet 5:
- W – use a water based solution or a mild detergent solution.
S – use solvent only, and be sure to do it in a room with good ventilation.
SW – use either solvent or water based cleaners
X – vacuum only
- When cleaning fabric, do not rub too vigorously, as this may cause the fabric to pill.
- To evenly distribute the wear, it is advisable to turn over loose cushions and throw pillows every few weeks.
- Vacuum upholstery regularly to remove dust and contaminates. It is very important to note that you should only use vacuum cleaners that have special upholstery attachments, since those without upholstery attachments may cause abrasions or other damage. If your vacuum cleaner tends to snag on the fabric of the upholstery, you can put a non-metallic window screen between the vacuum nozzle and the upholstery.
- For any slipcovers, they should always be dry cleaned. You should not attempt to machine wash them unless they are specifically labeled as “machine washable”.
- In event of a spill, use a towel or a dry piece of cloth to blot the area immediately. As long as you take care of the spill right away, there is a smaller chance that it will stain.
- For grease or caramelized sugar spills, use a solution made of fifty percent water and fifty percent white vinegar to spot clean the area.
- For odor problems, you can sprinkle baking soda on the upholstery and leave it overnight, then vacuum it the next morning.
- It is very important to choose the right cleaning products for your upholstery. Wrong formulations and inferior products can do more harm to your upholstery than good, causing irreparable damage over time. Ask Superior for the right cleaning product for your upholstery type.
Remember to always have your upholstery professionally cleaned to maintain it’s beauty. Superior Carpet & Tile Care can help!